How do you pronounce Lululemon? My friend pronounces it like Lulu-lem-ON. I always thought it was Lulu-lem-in. Don't know. But, my friend says she really likes their headbands. So I went on their site. Their headbands are cool. The price tag was not. I mean, $12 for a piece of cloth? Honestly. I saw a nice braided headband. Again for $12. It looked like knit with a piece of bungee cord braided in. I can make that.
This, of course, isn't my idea. I've seen a lot of braided headbands; this is just my version because I don't like seeing that unsightly piece of elastic sticking out of the ends. Sorry for my head shots. I couldn't take a picture of myself very well.
Tutorial
Materials: 3 1" strips of knit. I had a stretchy, spandex-y fabric. I cut them 30," but I had a lot leftover. I think 20" would be fine, probably. Experiment (you can also get the strips from an old tee). A piece of the same fabric about 3" by 6," and 3" of elastic. Needle and thread and sewing machine.
1. Tack the strips together with a few stitches. Braid your strips until they're about 6" shorter than your head circumference. The elastic and knit fabric will stretch to accommodate your head. Hand sew the end closed.
2. Take your 3" by 6" piece and fold in half so it's 1.5" by 6." Sew it closed so it's a tube with 2 open ends. Turn it right side out.
3. Now thread your elastic through the casing.
4. Hold the elastic at the end of the casing, and now stuff the end of your braid into the tube. Pinch it closed, sandwiching the braid and elastic, and pin it together.
5. Sew over the end of the casing, catching the elastic, braid, and tube. Now scrunch the fabric over the elastic and pull the elastic to the other side. Repeat step 4 and you're done! You can cover the stitching by gluing a strip of fabric on the ends if you want.
(o^__^)o
Found you through FlamingoToes.. you are so talented!
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to do this, too. I think it's ridiculous how much my friends pay for one of these... luckily, I'm crafty and can make my own :P thanks!
ReplyDeleteGreat job! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure my 12 yo daughter will want to make one now!
ReplyDeleteI made a really cute headband in a few minutes! Thanks for the tutorial! Good job!
ReplyDeletePerhaps if your friends are happy to pay $12.00 to a website, they'll be okay with paying you $10.00 :P
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have a business :D
Just found your tute. THANK YOU!! Most well defined I have found. Now my granddaughter and great-granddaughter will have lots of choices!
ReplyDeleteBTW, your face shots were very well done. And you have the cutest little ears!
ReplyDelete